Mr & Mrs Perky

Sunday, March 7, 2010

A depressing week

It has been a pretty crappy week.

Apart from the initial (and normal) uncertainties of breastfeeding, things have been going swimmingly. Unfortunately, over the last week, I've been experiencing every breastfeeding moms' nightmare - a diminishing milk supply:( I guess I didn't know any better and got pretty lazy with expressing and I guess my body learnt that I didn't need much even though my lil fella's demand was increasing. Well, at least that's one of my pd's explanation (Nate has a pd who specializes in allergies and a regular pd!) and now remedial action is producing very slow results! So, the husband and I had to make the unhappy decision of buying formula milk last wednesday. So far, we've had to use it once.

I had planned to breastfeed for at least 6 months, so this has been a tough thing to deal with. Everyday is a stressful ride of wondering if I can produce enough for the day or if I would need to supplement with formula. The allergist explained that in babies with allergies, breastfeeding for at least 4 months is recommended (19 days more!). But, she was also quick to reassure me not to worry if things didn't work out. Motherhood is tough!

b.

No comments:

Post a Comment